The appreciated gift: the Goldfield Hotel ghosts

/, Ghost Stories, Nevada, Uncategorized/The appreciated gift: the Goldfield Hotel ghosts

The appreciated gift: the Goldfield Hotel ghosts

“Many ghost hunters take from the spirits, so this young man was unusual,” Virginia Ridgway, caretaker of the Goldfield Hotel, said over the phone with a slight Texas drawl. She spoke about a guitarist who asked to play for the GFH entities. “No one ever asks to do something for them.”

I’d never really thought about that. Many paranormal investigators tend to search haunted locales demanding ghosts present themselves, talk to them or comply with requests. Behavior unthinkable toward the living, routinely thrust upon those who once had bodies.

Virginia and Kathleen standing in the Goldfield Hotel lobby in August 2011

So Virginia, a spry 70-something woman, escorted the musician into the sprawling, century-old hotel, so he could give his special concert. She sat in the dusty, first floor lobby while the guitarist scaled the central staircase to play on the bare second floor. After a few minutes of strumming, Virginia said the feel of the GFH transformed: it felt lighter, happier.

But what came next surprised even her. Noise penetrated the ceiling, falling to her ears. Dozens of footsteps. Dancing in time to the music. She could picture the spirits swaying, smiling in their eager acceptance of this unusual gift.

Who wouldn’t want to experience such a lovely encounter?

I challenge all of you who investigate the paranormal to think of ways to give to those who inhabit the buildings you visit.

Read how spending the night in the Goldfield Hotel upended my views on reality and spirituality in my memoir, “A Reluctant Spirit.”

By | 2012-02-29T07:00:45+00:00 February 29th, 2012|Ghost Hunting, Ghost Stories, Nevada, Uncategorized|11 Comments

About the Author:

11 Comments

1. Cindy February 29, 2012 at 9:16 am - Reply

I look forward to reading your posts every week. They always make me think, and often make me smile. Thanks to your email notices of new posts, I’m sure of my weekly “fix.”

Thank you, Kathleen!

• Kathleen February 29, 2012 at 9:45 am - Reply

Thank you very much. I appreciate the complement. 🙂

2. Sharon Leong March 1, 2012 at 12:07 am - Reply

Thanks for sharing this beautiful story, Kathleen. It reminds of me of the time when I once played an audio recording of Chopin in the haunted Mary Lake suite at the Queen Anne Hotel in San Francisco (on the premise that all women – living or departed – love Chopin’s music). I also had my camcorder on as the music played, and to my surprise, the camcorder recorded a few measures of a ghostly female voice singing along with the music. As Oscar Wilde once said, “music is the most mysterious of all the arts.”

• Kathleen March 1, 2012 at 8:33 am - Reply

Great story! Music is universal. Thanks so much for sharing.

3. nr1220 March 2, 2012 at 12:26 pm - Reply

Great story! I’ve never heard of someone giving a gift like that
    to ghosts. Now I wonder why we don’t do this more often. Basically its giving love to those who are there & only positive can come from that. Even those who are struggling on the other side want love. Seems like it would bring more peace to the “haunted” places.

• Kathleen March 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm - Reply

Very nice sentiment. I agree with you. I believe love is a constant, whether we are living in these human shells or are on the Other Side. Respect and kindness will always be well received. Thanks for contributing.

4. Claudineidde June 13, 2012 at 5:56 am - Reply

Wow! Never even Wow! Never even heard of the Goldfield Hotel before .fascinating! Since it’s in Nevada ..maybe u could make the ghstos happy by tellig them how to win at casino games? OK maybe that sutff doesn’t matter on the other side .except that the ghstos could bring it to (liveing) people they liked who were still alive & both living and dead wud be happy? Then the ghstos wud go awa & not scar NI more? Here’s hoping .! : )

• Kathleen June 14, 2012 at 7:27 am - Reply

You have a great sense of humor. Thank you for commenting.

5. Deborah Hartwell-Pas June 26, 2014 at 7:31 pm - Reply

Love all the posts I too would love to go to the goldfield and just quietly sing and pray for their souls. God bless v ridgeway for opening up the goldfield to honest people not “gold looks loos. Thank you so much pastor hartwell

• Kathleen June 26, 2014 at 7:49 pm - Reply

Thank you very much, Pastor for reading my posts. All my best to you.

6. […] to take photos for “A Reluctant Spirit.”  Knowing the spirits there enjoy music (see my post The Appreciated Gift), I brought a recording of Clair de lune, which Debussy released shortly before the hotel opened in […]