Breaking the silence

Breaking the silence

On the way to the Goldfield Hotel with my family in 2012, we stop at the Mizpah Hotel  in Tonopah and visit room 309, where my parents—Bryan and Darlene—had their own ghostly adventure years ago.

Mom and Dad watched the breaking news on the television in disbelief: Lady Diana died in a car accident. After they absorbed the sad story, they switched off the lights and retired for the evening. The room, not much bigger than the double bed, was cozy with two windows that could coax coolness from a Nevada breeze if there had been one. They slept anyway.

Until midnight.

CRASH! SHATTER! CRASH!

My parents bolted upright at the sound of bottles smashing around their heads.

Flipping on the bedside lamp, Dad leapt out of bed, inspecting the room and their bathroom with the claw-foot tub, and spied out the two windows.

Everything outside was placid. No one on the street. And the nearby guestrooms remained quiet.

When comparing their experiences with one another, my parents found they each had heard exactly the same noise.

“It felt as if a long table, loaded with bottles, was elevated inches over our heads. It sounded like someone swatted the bottles off the table onto a hard floor where the glass shattered,” Mom said.

Both had been sleeping soundly when the deafening sound woke them. They’re convinced it happened in their room.

During our 2012 visit, I assessed the room’s situation and if anything could explain the shattering clamor. Guest rooms surrounded it—above, below and next door. There wasn’t a kitchen or dining room nearby. The windows, which had unobstructed views, faced a small parking lot and side street. Surely if someone had broken a bunch of glass that evening, Dad would’ve seen someone.

It remains a mystery why a spirit would do this in what had always been a guestroom. Does anyone have any ideas they’d like to share?

Resource:

Mizpah Hotel: History, Happenings and Hauntings by Janice Oberding and Virginia Ridgway

By | 2012-08-22T05:45:11+00:00 August 22nd, 2012|Ghost Hunting, Ghost Stories, Nevada, Uncategorized|12 Comments

About the Author:

12 Comments

1. Tony Gonzalez August 22, 2012 at 10:34 pm - Reply

On a related tangent, the first day I took my wife to the hospital in August of ’97 I spent that night in the hospital. When I woke up on the cot the next morning, all of the televisions were blaring the news of Diana’s death. I told myself: I don’t think this is a good sign. And it wasn’t, so that has been and always will be a marker day for me.

2. Tony Gonzalez August 24, 2012 at 8:32 am - Reply

Thanks. It’s okay, part of my own faith journey. On a more relevant note I’ll share with you this: In the 70’s my family lived in an old house in Azusa, CA. Ol’ California bungalow rental between our next move. My dad, the more sensitive one in the family, claimed it was haunted. “Heard chains,” he claimed. Well, even at thirteen, I thought he was just telling stories. Anyway . . . one night, in the kitchen, my mother, sister, and I were sitting at the table. For some reason, all three of us directed our attention to the door, the security chain placed in its clasp. Very slowly, the chain slid in its track, suspended itself in air, then dropped against the door.

• Kathleen August 25, 2012 at 9:57 am - Reply

Great ghost story! I imagine it made you all believers. Azusa? I grew up in West Covina. We left for Carson City, NV in 1974.

• Tony Gonzalez August 25, 2012 at 10:41 am - Reply

My best friend from grade school is the police cheif in West Covina now. I went to Manzanita elementary off of San Bernardino Road. Worked for the GTE on Citrus. Wow!

3. Tony Gonzalez August 27, 2012 at 12:41 pm - Reply

Has Griswolds old school house in Claremont ever crossed your radar?

4. Tony Gonzalez August 27, 2012 at 9:02 pm - Reply

LOL, well, there’s a lot of dead presidents moving through there as well. A while back I was doing research on that school house, an internet re-visit, and there was a blog with some great stories. I’d left a comment as well. Couldn’t find that one.

• Kathleen August 28, 2012 at 6:16 pm - Reply

Thanks, Tony. Sounds like an interesting place.