When engaging the spirit world, it’s imperative to protect yourself from lower, darker energies. The sheer act of paranormal investigating invites spirits to our realm, so we need to ensure our well-being.
I’ve known some in the field who believe they’re immune to any ghostly attempts at invading their space. Unfortunately, their ego tells them they are invincible. This is when they are most at risk. I’ve seen people becoming temporarily possessed and energies attaching themselves to an unwitting host, resulting in health problems. One well-known ghost hunter (who told me that she didn’t believe in protection or clearing) admitted to another that she should’ve taken the spirit world more seriously because she’d invited a bad entity into her home, which turned life for her family into hell.
We can exercise control over spirits who visit our realm and must take that privilege seriously. Protection is one way to keep your space yours. Here’s one way to do it.
White light exercise
- Ground yourself. Plant your feet squarely on the ground and picture roots growing from your soles, deep into the earth.
- Place your hands on your lap or a table, palms facing upward.
- Close your eyes.
- Breathe deeply three times.
- Ask the Universal Power to encircle you with heavenly white light. Picture this light circling around your personal space, around your legs, your core and your head, both vertically and horizontally.
- Ask for protection against all lower/negative energies. Ask that only the highest and best energies interact with you.
- Picture the light swirling around you.
- Feel the energy of that white light prickle your hands, head and feet.
- Ask for this light to protect you throughout the investigation.
Further, right before I conduct an investigation, I ask the Most Divine to help me act for the greater good—both for myself and the spirits I’ll encounter.
Clearing energies after a hunt is another form of protection
Once you conclude your investigation, ensure that the energies you’ve encountered don’t follow you home. As the readers of “A Reluctant Spirit” know, I unknowingly took home the energy of a teenage girl after spending the night at the Goldfield Hotel. And, while she was a friendly spirit, I was uncomfortable with her presence.
Before I clear all energy that doesn’t serve me, I thank all those spirits I encountered for visiting me, then I respectfully tell them “goodbye” and that they’re not to come with me. This works in the vast majority of cases.
To further clear my space of any stubborn entities (or to rid yourself of your own personal negativity), you may want to try one of my preferred exercises:
Clearing energy exercise
- Close your eyes.
- Plant your feet squarely on the ground. Picture roots growing out from your soles deep into the earth, reaching to its core.
- Ask the Most Divine to clear all energy that isn’t serving your higher good—even negative energy that you are harboring.
- Mentally picture your personal space surrounding your body. Ask that all lower energies in this space be sent into the depths of the earth.
- Visualize your head, liquefy all dark energy and have it drain out of you.
- Continue to visualize the different parts of your body—your neck, shoulders, arms, torso, legs, feet—then liquefy and drain any negativity that may have lodged there and send it to the depths of the earth.
- Once these energies are removed, ask the Most Divine to cleanse and then return them to where they belong.
- Where the darkness had once been in your body or personal space, ask the Universal Power to fill those voids with sacred light and heavenly love.
I also find this exercise helpful before I retire for the night. I tend to pick up others’ energies, and this practice clears any residue I may have been carrying with me throughout the day.
Do you have protection or clearing exercises that you regularly use? If so, please share them with us.
Thanks for sharing your methods, Kathleen. I’d like to add that protecting oneself (with white light or other means) is not only important to keep in mind while ghost hunting, but also when one finds oneself in other potentially harmful or negative situations. Likewise, it’s essential to clear oneself of any negative energies that may have attached to oneself despite precautions against the same.
I completely agree, Sharon. I clear my energy every evening and routinely use white or pink light (I’ll be discussing this method in a post to come) every day. In fact, I bet most people would use protection more often from bodied souls than from ethereal beings. 🙂 Have a great day, Sharon, and thank you so much for adding to this discussion!
[…] few weeks ago, I wrote about protection from unseen entities, especially when investigating the paranormal. What I need more help with, though, is preserving my […]